Wednesday, February 16, 2022

"Incident" on the bridge

That's what the radio said. It always makes me think that means a suicide attempt. 

I think it was this time, as there was a copper standing over a crumpled figure on the pedestrian lane. I guess it could equally be physical illness or intoxication, as despair.

I saw them manhandle down a potential jumper once on the bridge. Looked pretty rough, but I guess they needed to be decisive. Left a funny sort of snapshot of the action in my mind.

You get these kinds of moments in memory - once I was driving up the dual carriageway, someone was overtaking me, and suddenly something smashed into the carriageway ahead of us. It was a windscreen, a whole windscreen. On the other side of the barrier, I saw the underside of a car hurtling towards us: it must have been sliding on its side. 

And then, we were past, unharmed.

It must have scared the hell out of the person overtaking me. It feels kind of unreal and I wasn't that shaken up by it at the time. But by the time I got to work, I could think about it a bit more and mentally thank the H&S bods that thought up and installed crash barriers. Never did find out what happened to the driver on the other side. 

No comments: