Sunday, December 26, 2021

Maid

"Maid" was really engrossing and nuanced. It had me literally on the edge of my seat at times, willing on our protagonist, Alex, played by Margaret Qualley, (daughter of Andie MacDowell, who takes the role of her bipolar mum). 

I liked how the abusive boyfriend was portrayed - he came from an abusive/neglectful background himself, was an alcoholic and wasn't just flat-out flat "bad guy". It felt like he wanted to change, but he couldn't. So many of the characters were trapped by their own webs, mental health and/or trauma. It felt true to life.

I loved the depiction of her relationship with her child. 

Spoiler: I was glad for Alex when her mum backed out of leaving with her at the last minute, because you knew she would just end up wrecking things for her somehow, unintentionally or not.

I don't really want them to do another series, because I think it ended just right, on a note of hope and optimism, and frankly I don't think I could take that being taken away by fresh conflict and obstacle.


No comments: