Wednesday, June 20, 2018

OK Fishie


Urrggh choice feminism.

Feminism isn't about airy-fairy fluffy-wuffy choosing choices rhetoric: feminism is political ideology.

Down with the patriarchy!

The choices we make are not made in a vacuum.

For a time I chose to be a stay-at-home parent. This was not a feminist choice. it wasn't an anti-feminist choice either.

It was a choice made in a context of social, financial and childcare pressures. I genuinely wanted it too, to be at home with the children, but just cos I'm a feminist doesn't mean it was a "feminist choice". Unless it was also an atheist choice, a bleeding heart leftie choice, etc etc. I mean, what the hell?

Choosing that didn't make me a bad feminist: let's not get hung up on what makes a bad feminist.

But when you're choosing the conventional roles/ways of performing femininity, recognise the water in which you are swimming.

OK, fishie?

No comments: