Tuesday, January 15, 2013

What's on my bookshelf?

Today I thought I would pick one of my bookshelves at random, take a picture and then gibber on about what is there. So without further ado:


First, we have a copy of Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book. This is an edition I've had since a child, and it was published in 1955, so possibly was my mother's before me.

Second, Toby Barlow's Sharp Teeth. I think I picked this up from a charity shop. It's a curious book, written in blank verse, all about a pack of werewolves in the US.

Third, Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh. I got this around the time the film came out. I really liked the film at the time and have the soundtrack somewhere. I can remember scenes from it pretty well, so it made an impact. The book is somewhat grittier and nastier. Had since college.

Three volumes of Maya Angelou's autobiography. I still haven't read I know why the Caged Bird Sings, and I think that is supposed to be the best of them. Bought from a school fair.

Dave Gorman Vs The Rest of the World. Gorman's funny account of his gaming. I dip into it ever so often and have read it fully a couple of times. A present for my birthday or Xmas one year.

A Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle. I started reading this a while ago, but gave up because I really hated the very old-fashioned feudal/misogynistic political system it begins with depicting. I don't have a problem with this sort of thing in pseudo-history or fantasy, but when it's set in the future it seems to lack imagination. I like SF that explores different social structures. Apparently when the Moties come in, it gets good, but I couldn't do it to myself. I should probably give the book away. PIcked up at a boot sale?

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. I have read it, but I can't remember much about it. Bought in my mission to improve ponciness of my book collection!

Missing Pieces. I liked this book. My mum gave it to me to read after she enjoyed it a lot. I've never given it back. Oops!

The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer. Why isn't this book in with the rest of my Georgette Heyers? My librarian card should be revoked. This is the first novel Heyer wrote and it's jolly good fun.

The Illuminatus! Trilogy. I have never been able to get into this. I should probably try again or give the book away. Acquired after recommendation on a website I was on.

The Time Traveller's Wife. I really enjoyed this one. Bought when it was recommended by Richard & Judy!

Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, author of the Yellow Wallpaper. A feminist utopia. Had this since college.

The English Civil War by Tristram Hunt. An interesting text about, er the English Civil War, strangely enough.   I learnt a lot. Bought this a couple of years ago when I developed an interest in the time period.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kelsey. Enjoyable but pretty misogynistic in parts. Think this was acquired from a charity shop about 5 years ago.

Phantoms in The Brain by VS Ramachandran. Really fascinating book about the weird things our brains can do. Had this a few years, got it when I was reading a lot of atheist websites. It's not an atheistic work, it was just suggested as something to read. They had good book suggestions.

Marge Piercy's Woman on the Edge of Time. Another classic feminist SF novel. Had this one since college.

Nightmare and Ecstasy: The Life and Art of Ed Wood Jnr. This is a biography of the infamous director Ed Wood whose best-known film is Plan 9 from Outer Space, an astonishing blend of sci-fi and zombie flick. It came with my copy of Plan 9 when I was really into SF B-movies.

Grow your Own Veg by Carol Klein. I got this a couple of years back, but haven't used it much because we're in a transition period with our garden at the moment.

The Bachman Books by Stephen King. This is a collection of novels King wrote under a pseudonym. It includes Rage which is one that AFAIK he no longer allows to be published as it deals with shooting in a school. Not surprised he doesn't want that out there any more. I can remember having this at college. I am pretty sure it originally was abstracted from my mother's bookshelves when I left home for uni.


Well, I enjoyed that.




No comments: