Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Opening things

I open up my browser to be greeted with so-called "news" of a new Big Brother chair. Whoop-di-fucking-doo.

I would be extremely interested in my own new chair, should I acquire one, although I doubt I would spend too much time glorying in it. It would be, after all, a sodding chair.

I would be mildly animated, (or feign interest and at least nod in the right places) should the occasion arise whereby a friend or family member had become the proud owner of a new chair, if they appeared to want such a response. But in my heart of hearts, I would be fully aware that it is just, after all, a sodding chair.

A tv programme acquiring a new chair tests my patience somewhat.

This is the kind of thing that gets me riled about Big Brother: news stories about sodding chairs.

Last year I railed about the coming of Big Brother again. This year I am just fatigued by the phenomenon. Surely people aren't still watching? They'll be first against the wall when the revolution comes*.


And a bit of a tangent, but still linked by the 'opening things' title, haha, I opened a letter today. Unlikely as it may sound, it wasn't a bill and wasn't junk: it was a reply from Spar. I am quite pleased that the company appears to have taken my complaint about the egregious golliwogs seriously. The shopkeeper has written to say he'll try to return the merchandise to his suppliers and won't restock them. So that's good, I suppose.


*Unless they read this blog in which case they can have a cookie or a crumpet** instead... Not that I'm sucking up at all.

**A theoretical, metaphorical foodstuff, clearly. Just feel you are the exception to the whole shot-at-dawn bit.

No comments: