Monday, March 03, 2008

Green Pasta

I'm not usually one for culinary tips, being a rather erratic and absent-minded cook, but something so simple, energy-saving, environmentally friendly (and possibly blindingly obvious) was passed onto me by the friends we stopped with at the weekend, that I thought I better share it. When cooking pasta, bring your water to the boil, add your pasta and bring back up to the boil - then cover and turn off the power. The water is hot enough to cook your pasta through in the ten or so minutes stated on the pack without the ring continuing to heat it. Saves money, saves power, lovely and green.

Not to mention, it's extra handy for the forgetful cooks such as myself, as it's then impossible to boil off all the water and create black, encrusted pan-bottoms. Score.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tried it last night and no problems. It also cuts down on all the steam in the kitchen, so ta very much for the tip.

Mephitis said...

Glad it worked! :)