Tuesday, February 20, 2007

It's all about ME

I have been very brave, for me, of late. I have actually initiated contact with people: invited someone to the gym with me, and phoned a new mum to get her child to come and play with S. This isn't so very remarkable, I guess, apart from it being me, off my own bat, without too much trepidation.

I think I must have finally come to terms with the fact we are staying around here for the foreseeable future, so the excuse that 'there's no point being sociable, because we'll just be leaving soon' doesn't fly anymore. And of course, that I no longer have a ready-made social life in the form of people in our pub, means I cannot be lazy socially. I have to actually make an effort, and for once I am. I feel like I've turned a corner, where perhaps there will seem a point to making proper new friends. I'm confident I'll retain my own self-sufficiency and at the moment, think people are actually likely to like me. I'm not sure where this foolhardy notion came from, but I may as well enjoy it while it lasts.

The drawback of being a landlady is that although you always have people willing to befriend you, you're never sure whether it's just for the sake of a possible lock-in invite. Or maybe I'm just cynical. Still, we're out of the lifestyle for the immediate future and indeed, have been for nearly two years, so I suppose it's long-past time I changed mindset.


As an aside, I've decided to stop using smiley punctuations in my blog for the moment, as I rely too heavily upon them to convey meaning/tone. Surely I should be able to write without them? Of course, blogging is a kind of conversational medium rather than expressive prose, (at least in my hands), but I still think I should be able to do without.

Well, I say conversational, but it's clearly a monologue all about me me me mememememe.

No comments: