Saturday, January 20, 2007

Not so cross

The BA cross row has led to BA reviewing their dress-code, and they have decided to allow a lapel-style badge and a symbol on a chain in certain circumstances: "The review had concluded that the uniform policy should be amended to allow a lapel pin symbol of faith with some flexibility for members of staff to wear a symbol of faith on a chain."
Which I think lends some credence to my thought that perhaps it was a safety measure to prevent Joe Public strangling staff :D.

Oh, but journalists, they make me cross: again the claim that Ms Eweida was banned from wearing it. She wasn't! She was barred from showing it over her blouse. #Rolls eyes and sighs dramatically.#

Oh well, at least that's solved to hopefully everyone's satisfaction.

7 comments:

Abby said...

I am pleased about it. It saves me the bother of writing a complaint letter to BA and boycotting their flights. (Not that I would fly them at their prices anyway!)

Hippernicus said...

But it wasn't even banned! :D

Abby said...

She wanted to be able to wear her symbol of religion clearly so that she could be identified as a Christian, as her colleagues could be identified as Sikhs or Muslims by their head scarves. I think that's a reasonable request.

She was allowed to wear her cross openly for years before someone suddenly decided to enforce the rules, so I think she was led into a false sense of security about it and had every right to make a fuss about it. You only keep a tolerant society by fighting for it, sometimes.

Hippernicus said...

But unlike the hijab or Sikh's turban, wearing a religious symbol in Christianity is a matter of choice, not a requirement of their religion.

(Although I know that a Coptic Christian has a slightly different take on it).

I haven't read of it being a sudden change in policy?

Abby said...

She felt that it was not fair if people of those other religions could wear their own religious symbols when she was not allowed to. I know it's not a "requirement" to wear a cross, but a lot of Christians like to wear one. It's not like you can get into that many "I'm a Christian" discussions when working with the public at an airport, so she wanted to make that statement through her wearing a cross, which I think is fair enough, given BA's tolerance for other people of religion wearing their shawls.

Abby said...

By the way - wearing a hijab is also a matter of choice, not a requirement. Many Muslim women choose not to wear it.

Hippernicus said...

Many also think it *is* a requirement. Lots of argument about whether and which form to wear, which is not something that occurs with regard to the cross.

I think it is more a matter that jewellery was prohibited from being shown by BA than that Christians were being singled out.

I think the lapel badge is a fair compromise.