Monday, July 24, 2006

Paranoia, the internet and its cronies

I got an email from the moderators of my ex-forum saying that they would simply suspend my membership for the time being. I had asked them to remove me. Grummock. Do as I ask, for Boohbah's sake!

So my profile is still up instead of deleted. But I guess I can understand their point of view, since they get so many people leaving then returning. Of the four people (not counting me) that have "left" publicly (I haven't done it publicly) in the past couple of weeks, all but one have returned. I can imagine it seems like a waste of energy removing me, when the ratio of returns is so high. However, this time there's no going back for me.

I've been looking at a huge thread on there tonight and it simply reinforces the fact that I'm better off out of there. That's apart from the fact that either I'm pretending to be someone I'm not on that forum, or that a part of myself I don't like is drawn out by it. Which is it? I don't know. I'm hoping it's the former.

Also I have been thinking about the pictures I put up on this blog. So far they tend to be pretty indeterminate ones, where if I put up one of the children, you can't really see their faces. This is out of concern for my own privacy and my children's privacy & safety, given that this is something that could be read by anyone who happens upon it. I'd like to put up better pictures in some ways, and having flicked through some other blogs on blogger.com, I've seen that other people have no problem with it. But I am not comfortable with being too easily identifiable on-line. I'm deliberately vague about things I think might make me easier to track. Although who would want to be all stalkerish towards me?! :D

Sometimes I wonder if I'm being overly paranoid. On the other hand, maybe it's impossible to be too paranoid on the internet. :D

No comments: