Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Ding dong the bells are gonna chime

We've been invited to a wedding. Well, blessing of a wedding. It's my cousin's.

They don't have a wedding list, but they would like money towards their honeymoon. I'm not sure about wedding lists and stuff. The etiquette is trickier than it might first appear, I think. With ours, we had a list with a store. It was a big list I think, cos we got carried away :D. Not that we expected much of it, it was just to give ideas really. But it seemed weird at the time to be doing it. Should presents be an expectation of getting wed? I don't know, it just strikes me as an odd tradition to keep, especially in these days when a lot of people live together before they marry and therefore have already set up home...

I'm not sure what I think about it. It's nice to give people something to celebrate a happy occasion, but if you don't know the people well enough to know what they'd like, it seems odd to be giving them presents. I suppose it's normal to have relatives there who may not know you well, and I suppose neither family will know the respective spouse-to-be that well.

I'm rambling.

I'm definitely not that keen on the giving money thing, because they will know exactly how much their marriage is worth to us! :D Which ain't a lot :P. It's hard to work out how much to give: how much can we afford versus the fear of looking stingy? A tenner sounds too little. Twenty is probably too little too? I'm not giving £50.

The thing is, I don't even like them.

But I suppose it's a day out. So it may be cheap at the price! :D

No comments: