Wednesday, May 24, 2006

High energy hatred

Yesterday I read the very long Wiki entry on Fred Phelps (after visiting a mainly American forum). What a catalogue of misery and hatred. I don't know how much of the biography there is true, although clearly things like being disbarred as a lawyer would be verifiable.

On the bright side of reading all that dreariness, it did say that his church has only about 100 members and many of them are his relatives.

He is far from representative of Christian belief (which I already knew, obviously, but realising just how small his congregation actually is, was heartening). He must be very publicity hungry and virulent.

Some people allege he is an agent provocateur, but I don't know how anyone would have the energy to fake and maintain a pretence of that much hate.

Of course, I don't know how he has the energy to exude that much hate either. He must find it exhausting.

No comments: